Preparing for our move has provided my wife and I a great opportunity to evaluate a heap of “stuff” that has been sitting dormant within the house for a long time. Some of it is stuff you might only use once a year, while other stuff has been unused for much longer.
We are currently working our way through a lot of our stuff, trying to decide if we should keep it at the new place, try selling it online before we move, or just dump it (as in, there is just no way someone would ever want this stuff).
The way I see things – if we haven’t used it for a while, there is a good chance that we don’t need it, so it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to keep it and then pay a moving company to shift it into our new house where it can sit and collect more dust.
- We have 3 Christmas trees! I don’t even really like Christmas – so having 3 trees is beyond crazy. We bought 1 when my wife and I first moved in together, my wife had another really small one, and more recently my wife’s parents dumped another one on us that they didn’t have room for in their new house.
- Old CD’s – We have hundreds of old CD’s, which I haven’t listened to in years. Even if I wanted to listen to them, I would probably just play the .mp3 version on my computer or ipod.
- Old DVD’s – Same as the CD’s. There just isn’t a whole lot of reason to keep these things.
- Baby clothes – Because we have always planned on having more than 1 child, we have held onto a lot of the baby clothes that my son no longer fits into. I’m happy about this, however, I think we have far more than we will ever need.
- Documents / Papers – The reason we have a lot of these is for taxation purposes. We don’t want to one day get audited and not have everything we need. The problem is that there is so much and it takes up a lot of space. I think i’ll have to go through this and dump a lot of it.
Anyway, there are a few things we are looking to sell online as well.
- An old CRT TV. I have seen these going on auction sites for up to $100, so this is something we will probably sell.
- The DVD’s and some of the CD’s will probably get boxed up and sold off as a “buy a whole box” style of sale.
- I have a BBQ that I’m in two minds about. It’s not a very good one, but there is nothing wrong with it. So i’m still torn as to if i’m going to sell it or not.
Anyway, hopefully we can make a little bit of money by selling some stuff, rather than dumping or moving it all.