I realise that I have been mentioning our new house for quite a while now, but I haven’t really posted any updates on progress, so after providing the builder some feedback last week, it reminded me that I should also update things here as well.

So as everyone will already know – we sold our last house late last year. Everything was finalised a couple of days before Christmas, and we have been renting in our old house off the new owner ever since. It’s worked out amazingly, and the new owner is great.

We also finished signing the contract with our builder early in the new year and were excited to get things under way. Unfortunately since that point things have been going a little slowly. Normally the initial part of the build process goes quite quickly, with the block being cut out, the plumbing work being dub, slab going down, frame going up and then the roof being attached. The last time we built all these things were done in only a few weeks, however, at the moment we are still only at the slab stage.


This is the slab as it stands at the time of writing.

Unfortunately we have had a lot of rain around here lately (we even had a cyclone with a major rain depression), which has lead to a backlog in the builders contractors being able to work on the site, so my wife and I have been accepting on the longer lead times for each stage, however, the builder has missed 2 out of 2 dates thus far – a 100% strike rate.

So in terms of updates, it’s a bit slow. I’m hoping things will speed up, however, after reading some comments on a local product review site, I am beginning to wonder if we are going to experience many of the same pitfalls that others have mentioned in the past. I hope not, and I remain up beat that the builder is simply busy, but the doubt has started to creep in.

As luck would have it, the builder had actually sent me a feedback form to fill out, it had been sitting in my spam box for a while when I finally found it, but I thought it would be a great opportunity to provide an honest critique of how things have progressed so far, and some of the difficulties we have had throughout the process. I won’t go into the nitty gritty details here (i’ll leave that for a big post once we have handover, so I can tell an end to end story) though I did provide the builder my details to follow up on any points they might like more information on.