As my blog grows, the amount of people asking me to promote their products seems to be increasing exponentially. At first I used to check out each and every offer that hit my inbox, but as more and more of these offers come through, I have started to realise that I don’t want to promote these average / crappy products to my readers. I will start to lack credibility and become just another one of those blogs with a heap of random advertisements.
My solution – Ever since I started this blog I have wanted to write an e-book. While I was away on holidays I had a great idea for a book. I even started writing a coupe of chapters of the book whenever I found myself with free time. The problem I have encountered is that I seem to be struggling to find the time to commit to completing the book. Between this blog, other websites I run, my smart phone app programming, my job and living the rest of my life (away from the computer), there just aren’t enough hours in the day.
One day a few weeks ago, I had an idea that I thought could benefit me, as well as plenty of other personal finance bloggers. I regularly read about other bloggers wanting to write an e-book. Many of them state that they don’t have the time to sit down and complete a whole book, while others simply don’t have any topics they feel would convert well into a successful book.
What am I offering?
I am offering personal finance bloggers the opportunity to assist me in writing an e-book.
I will be granting bloggers who participate in writing the book a 80% affiliate commission on any books they sell. That means that if the book is priced at $10 you will receive $8 for each and every sale. Currently most affiliate programs only offer around a 50% commission and there aren’t all that many good personal finance books available for bloggers to promote.
Note: Any bloggers who wishes to promote the book, but who are not interested in contributing to writing it, will be able to join the affiliate program at a rate of 55% commission per sale.
The real benefit that I see with participating in my offer, is the advertising that you will receive by having your blog promoted within the book. All bloggers that contribute to the book will have their blogs URL included multiple times throughout the e-book. This means that when people read the book, they will have the opportunity to visit your site and hopefully convert into a long term engaged user, which you otherwise most likely wouldn’t have connected with.
Think about it this way – Lets say 10-15 personal finance bloggers decide to accept my invitation to assist me in writing this e-book. That means that every time a book is sold (on your site or any one of the other blogs promoting it) your link is now available to the buyer of that book. In my opinion, this is highly likely to lead to an increase in your long term blog readership levels.
Whoever bought the book is interested enough in personal finance to spend money learning more about it. Plus they now have some of your work to read, which includes a link back to your website to check out some of your other work. To me, that is the exact type of user I want visiting my blog and I see this as an excellent chance to increase the number of targeted users connecting with my blog.
I already have a handful of people interested in participating on this project, so please be aware that places are limited. For this particular e-book I can only handle a maximum of 24 contributors, so if you are interested please make sure you get back to me ASAP.
Note: If this goes well then I have at least 2 more ideas for e-books, which you may get an opportunity to participate in.
To be eligible you need to:
- Be a personal finance blogger (for at least 2-3 months) with your own website
- Have an active blog (at least 1-2 posts per week)
- Have excellent written English
- Have a PayPal account
Be prepared to publish your real name (doesn’t have to include last name) and a photo of yourself inside the book (We can discuss this if you feel it is a problem)It seems most people aren’t keen on this so I’ll remove it as a requirement.
Note: I will be checking out your blog (if I haven’t already) to ensure your writing is of a quality that I am happy to be associated with.
To participate in the e-book you will need to do the following:
- Email me with the subject “E-Book” telling me that you are interested – include your blog URL. My email is glen [at] monsterpiggybank.com
- Be prepared to write between 1,000 and 2,000 words per topic (I want to really delve into the topics. Let me be clear – This isn’t just another blog post! It will need to be something worth spending money on) Note: I have pre-determined all the topics to be written about.
- Be prepared to write on a couple of topics (depending on numbers)
- Submit your work within the specified time frame (I’m planning about 6-8 weeks – This is negotiable)
- Promote the book on your blog and help me promote it elsewhere
- You will need to agree to a contract relinquishing your ownership of your intellectual property to me. This is so that I can publish your work as a part of the e-book.
- Everything you write must be original – No copying others work!
Note: The invitation close off date is the end of November 2012. Comments to this post stating that you are interested, will not be accepted as participation.
What have you got to lose?
I see this as a huge win / win situation for all involved.
- You get to be published in a e-book
- You get a potential new income stream
- It will take you far less effort for you to be included in this book than it will to write your own
- You will receive additional website/brand exposure across all participating affiliates sales
- You will receive website/brand exposure to users in the iTunes and Amazon shop (eventually)
- No expenses to you (other than your time)
- You don’t have to think of an idea – I already have one
- You don’t need to set up any distribution network – I have done this
- You don’t need to worry about editing the book – I will do this
- You don’t need to create the book format template – I have done this
- You don’t need to create the book cover image – I am doing this
If you know anyone who may be interested in this invitation, please forward this post to them. The more people that are involved, the easier the project will be. Once the numbers are confirmed, I will notify everyone involved of the exact details surrounding the book.
If for whatever reason I do not get the required amount of interest, then I will email those that are interested and we can progress this project in a slightly different manner.
Thanks for your time and I hope to see an email from you 🙂